Originally opened in 1887 as part of the Saugus Train Station under the name Saugus Eating House, it took its present name, The Saugus Cafe, in 1899.
It moved to its present location in 1905 and was remodeled and enlarged in 1925. (1908) Cole’s Founded by Henry Cole in 1908 on the bottom floor of the Pacific Electric Building, which at 10 stories was once L. Known for their cocktails and French dip sandwiches, which both Cole’s and nearby Philippe’s claim to have invented.
Closed briefly in March 2007 after 99 years in business, Cole’s was brought back to its original splendor with a new owner in 2008 with vermillion red wallpaper, a long mahogany wooden bar, a copper penny tiled floor, Tiffany-style lamps, old photographs mounted on the walls and a back speakeasy.
They are most famous for their French dipped roast beef sandwich and roll soaked in gravy.
Originally opened at 300 Alameda St in 1908 by French immigrant Philippe Mathieu, it moved to its current location several blocks away in 1951 after being booted from the old one due to construction of the 101 Hollywood freeway.
It has an old fashioned feeling inside with embossed tin ceilings and wood floors. (1918) Golden Spur The Golden Spur is a classic mid-century steakhouse on Route 66 that started as a ride-up hamburger stand for patrons on horseback.
According to realty records the building was constructed in 1932, but it formally became a steakhouse in 1954.